If you watch Seinfeld, then you might have seen the episode, when Jerry buys very expensive suede jacket. So after some sitcom twists, his walk in the falling snow ruins Jerry’s new suede jacket. And this seems to be enough for everyone to think twice before buying whatever, made of or covered with suede, if it is sure that once it gets any damage, it is almost impossible to be fixed.
Suede is known to be a sought- after material for, gloves, clothes, purses, hats and furniture upholstery. Suede garments need professional cleaning. It is expensive, but it is better to pay someone, who knows how to clean it by leaving no damages.
If you prefer to avoid cleaning services and clean you suede jacket or suede upholstery, then be careful and follow these steps:
- The first step is to restore the suede’s natural nap, by trying to rub it gently with a bath towel.
- To target dry stains and blemishes, you better get a rubber pencil.
- With a paper towel, by placing it over the dirty area, you can absorb wet stains. It is recommended you don’t apply any chemical cleaning product or any stain remover, and resist the temptation to to apply heat, so that the wet area get dry faster. You have to let the suede to restore slowly itself at room temperature.
- After the suede has dried, brush with a wire suede brush, to equalize the colour and grain.
- If it is not working, then you can try to apply small amount of white vinegar to a damp cloth and carefully rub the affected area. Then leave it to get dry.
- You can use a specially made degreaser cleaner to eliminate body oil stains on your furniture.
You must remember that suede is leather, and this requires careful treatment and maintenance. And because of this, it is very reasonable to use professional cleaning services, and regardless suede and leather should be cleaned on every two years.