How do you maintain your carpet? Do you use expensive store detergents, or you prefer to clean with natural products?
Carpets are very delicate pieces of furniture. If they are not maintained right they wear and tear, or discolour very fast. The carpet cleaning products that are sold in big stores, clean well but they don’t have good influence on the carpet’s fibres.
Professional house cleaning companies recommend the use of natural cleaning products when cleaning a carpet. Here are some easy recipes and tips:
- If you spill something colourful on the carpet, such as red wine or ketchup, use club soda to clean the stain. Remember that you have to act immediately, otherwise the soda won’t have any effect. What you have to do is to remove any solids, liberally pour club soda on the stain and blot with an old rag. The carbonation of the soda brings the spill to the surface of the carpet, and the salts in it thwart staining.
- For big spills use cornmeal. Dump cornmeal on the mess, wait a few minutes and vacuum.
- When you have to deodorize a carpet, make sure it is dry and sprinkle baking soda all over it. Leave it for a night and vacuum in the morning.
- Whenever you have the time, take your removable rug or carpet outside at the sun and beat it a little bit to take the dust and hair out of it. You will save a lot of energy from vacuuming this way.
- If you have a persistent or an old stain on your carpet prepare a spot cleaner and clean with it. You have to mix 1/4 cup liquid soap with 1/3 cup water. Mix it until it becomes foamy, spray it on the spot and rinse with vinegar.
So, that’s it. These are the easiest recipes for home-made carpet cleaning solutions. If you don’t have the time and nerves to deal with carpet cleaning on your own, turn to some professional house cleaning company and let its professionals do the work for you.